Tuesday, October 7, 2014

and in between, there was art


 A year ago this weekend, my hubby was headed to meet his brother in Paso Robles to work on the roof of a trailer they share at Lake Nacimiento. Fate intervened. It was around 8:30pm and he was almost into town. Another truck coming down the wrong side of the road plowed right into him, up and over his truck. A drunk driver. Horribly drunk. Hit him and broke is neck in two places. A 50 / 50 change of repairing it came to us in the form of an amazing doctor and an incredible recovery.



I remember going to Michaels ( shhh, don't tell my employer ) while he was in surgery and for the 7 days that we were there. I shopped for yarn and just kept crocheting blankets like a fiend. I brought nothing with me. I thought I was headed down there to pick him up and head home. After all, he called me and told me he was fine and he would just need a ride home. 7 days later... we left that city. Broken, but thankful.




 This is all that was left of his truck. His baby. He bought this truck brand new when we first met. It held many baby seats, towed a boat, went on many off road trips and was his favorite thing he owned. It was in fabulous shape. For this trip, either my neighbor, myself or the dog were all going to go with him. I backed out because I had art deadlines, the neighbor backed out that morning for some reason and he decided not to take the dog. Thank GOD! You can tell by the pic that no one would have survived the impact to the passengers side. Small miracles.



We spent alot of time at home. I was so fortunate to be able to be with him at home for almost a month. We took alot of walks and he was a great patient. To pass the time, I continued with my signs and ornaments for the craft fairs I had already committed to. This piece was a commission for an amazing human that I met on facebook. A nurse, who took time out of her busy day to asure me everything was going to be fine. It took months before it was close to fine.


Art got me though most of the days and I haven't slowed down yet. I think sometimes we use something like art to help us heal and it becomes something that is just second nature to us even after the fact. It's amazing how putting pen to paper or crocheting blanket after blanket can just be so cathardic. It is. For anyone going through something intense... find something to throw your soul into. A hobby, a craft, a journal... something. It helps ease the pain and heal the heart.

 
He is back to work. Part time. He has good days and bad days still. The fatigue and occasional paint is just more than he can understand most days. He is a go, go, go guy. We both are like that. We just bought a canoe and spend alot of days in it now... just sitting on the lake. That helps. The kindness of friends and aquaintances after the accident was incredible and overwelming. Thank you all. Do I miss my husband? Yes. Do i love this new guy... definately. Have I forgiven the asshole that did this?... ummmm, nope. Not yet. I don't undertand that at all. Drink. Drink yourself to death... but stay put. Come on. That's not hard. Tell everyone you know... any DISTRACTED driving is horrific. Do not text, call, eat, brush your hair and especially don't get behind the wheel after drinking anything. But look at this guys smile. I am the lucky one. He is here with me. That's all that matters!
Here's to a better year to come.
It's been a really, really, long year.
Adios October 11, 2013 to October 11, 2014!


9 comments:

massofhair said...

Am so glad he is still there smiling and holding you, it has taken a long time and many hours of creativity to get you here a year later.

Thank you for posting your year long story, it is inspirational, heart warming and had me in tears! :-) xxx

Maureen Hayes said...

I am so glad you BOTH have made it through (changed, yes, but still here!). Thank you for sharing and be assured of continuing prayers. I have my own reason for hating Oct. 11th, so I am with you, it can't come and go quickly enough for me either. . .

Createology said...

So very thankful for you both and your family. Life is precious. Art is very healing. May you have a wonderful "new" year of joy and peace and love. Dare to Delight...

Create Beauty with Laurajo said...

Lindsey, I am a fairly new follower of your Blog so I was unaware of your husbands horrible accident. Your story has touched my heart. When I saw the pic of his truck, I had to take a deep breath! It has to be a miracle that he survived that crash!! Your strength is amazing and shines through your art. I know your Hubbie is thankful, each day, for your love a support. Thanks for staying strong, using your art to get you through the tough times and for sharing all the beautiful inspiration. I am certain the best is yet to come.

Scatterjoy! said...

Has it really been a year? Wow...just wow! As always, you inspire. Thanks for the all too often needed lesson in "I guess I have it good after all!" Love you guys, glad you're here!

The Colour Press said...

I hopped over to ur blog from Somerset blog and your post really touched me. You are a v brave person and ur hubby is lucky to have you beside him. Wish u both many happy years together. I agree that art heals. It was the reason i opened my box of paints again last year.

Rita Palanjian said...

Lindsay, thank you for sharing. This accident was so unfortunate. I'm sorry to your husband, you and your family. I'm sure you grew together from this event; and I'm glad you had the thing that keeps you grounded to help you get through day by day - your incredible art. I wish and pray better days ahead.

Unknown said...

It's amazing that your husband survived that accident. Was the other driver ever apprehended? Drunk driving is next to impossible to justify, and you could've sued the driver for damages. Either way, I hope he's doing well by now. Stay safe!

Roman Barnes @ Johnson & Johnson Law Firm

Unknown said...

I’m really grateful for the miracle that your husband survived that horrible accident. That should serve as a warning for all drivers out there. I know it’s hard to forget, but you shouldn't let yourself suffer because of hatred. Let the law resolve that, so that justice may be served to your husband, and that you can have peace of mind in the end. Thanks for sharing that, Lindsay! I wish your family all the best!

Faith Brady @ KHunter LAw