Wednesday, March 9, 2011

march menu.... day nine

I made a birthday gift this week for my friend Annie..... it started with a plain old fashioned wooden spool...
then I added regular old notebook paper and wrote the happy birthday song on it... personalized for annie...
there it is all done and so cute...
then, i decided that i wanted to hide the note.... so i white washed it with my finger and a bit of white paint.
then i added some distress ink.... mind you... i have done this before and it looked really cute. Well.... change of plans. That's why my motto is "there are no mistakes in crafting or art... only happy accidents".
My plan was to tie a few pieces of colored floss on it and let the wording peek through. Annie is a felter, crocheter and knitter... so the threads seemed good. Well... not with that white washed mess....
So... i covered the whole thing with rainbow floss. And i loved it... a happy accident!
I finished it off with a ball chain to wear as a necklace and then added some glass and plastic beads from the bottom of the spool.
Love it! Now i just had to wrap it...
I made her a little muslin bag using some ribbon that i have used on some other projects just sitting on my sewing machine bench. I appliqued a little heart on it
I finished it off with all the cut off pieces of thread that i wrapped around the spool and a pretty button.

I wrote her name on it and tied it up.... ready to give. Happy birthday miss tas ( tas for anastasia!)

3 comments:

Traceyr said...

What a lucky friend to receive such a beautiful handmade gift.

:)

Claudia said...

Very CUTE. You do nice work, Lindsay. Can't wait to meet you in person.
Claudia

Claudia said...

Very CUTE. You do nice work. Can't wait to meet you in person. (and I hope you don't get a duplicate of this comment)